Friday, February 10, 2006

My Brush with DEATH!

Picture this...

Southbound I-35W just north of Papurt Street (which is one exit north of NE 28th Street).
Thursday afternoon - 4:45 p.m.
Two lanes of traffic.
Approximate rate of travel - 45 m.p.h.
In the outside/right hand lane - a Rodeway 18 wheeler truck - pulling a tandem trailer, followed by another 18 wheeler.
In the inside/left hand lane - cars mostly alongside the big trucks.
I'm in the inside lane, the front of my car is basically lined up with the back of the 2nd 18 wheeler.

Then it happens!

(if you can pretend there is a soundtrack with this entry, this is where you'd hear the "da da da duhhhhhhhhh" scarey music)

The first thing I notice is sparks flying from the right hand lane. Then I realize that the 2nd trailer of the 1st big truck (the tandem part) has actually come loose from the first trailer and is sliding along the pavement on it's "legs" or whatever those post things are that a trailer sits on! An unmanned trailer is traveling down I-35 and I'm behind it! YIKES.

I basically just come to a stop on the road - not thinking too much about what or who is behind me. Not sure what the cars in front of me are doing.

Unbelievably, the loose trailer fades to the right onto the smallish shoulder and then just slides along the barrier until it comes to a stop. I just wait - knowing that the 2nd 18 wheeler is going to clip the lost trailer and then spin out or something. And guess what happened?




NOTHING!

We all just drove on past the lost trailer! I was in shock. Thankfully, Blake wasn't with me or I would have probably freaked out more over this. The Rodeway truck driver stopped a pulled over about 100 feet ahead. As I drove past his truck, he was just getting out. I'm sure that guy was out of a job today.

I really didn't over-react to this whole deal, but my mind still thought of all of the things that could have been. Why do I let myself think these things? The first thing I thought of was "if I had been in a wreck, I couldn't have been a good mommy for Blake." I told Kelly this and told him I didn't know if that meant I was a bad wife or not - but I guess it just means that I knew he could take care of himself, while Blake couldn't.

Anyway....all of those bad things didn't happen....and my brush with death wasn't really all that dramatic...I just basically wanted a post title that might entice you to read all the way to the bottom of the post!

Be careful out there! It's a dangerous world!

3 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I think that is VERY dramatic!! That flash of panic where it is really only about 1/2 sec but it feels like an hour....awful.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

I am right there with you. I fear the worst, I envision the worst, and I'm the WORST over-reactor there is. On the planet. I told Michael that if something happens to me, I am to be hooked up to machines and milked like a cow until Zoe is one, so she can have mommy milk for a whole year. I guess that's morbid. I never used to be this way before I had kids...

And sometimes I wish I never had to leave the house, then they would be safe all the time.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Stories like this one make me wonder... Why sometimes the trailer flips wildy and a terrible wreck occurs, and then there you are and the thing comes to a stop without incident. Angels? Maybe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home