Thursday, February 02, 2006

Leo Getz had it right!

Lethal Weapon 2 (I know...not the gentlest movie out there)
Leo Getz in the back seat
The go through the Drive Thru
Leo doesn't get what he ordered
He isn't happy about it (I know...not the gentlest part of the script)

Have you ever been to a restaurant, fast food or not, that has really great food but the service is awful but you love the food so much you keep going back but while you are there you want to slit your throat over the awful service but you cannot pull away from the great food and so you keep going back time after time and as you are waiting you question yourself every time but by the time you eat the food you forget all that?

We've got a place like that in our family - Popeye's Chicken on McCart by Altamesa. Oh man I love that chicken! Oh man they make me crazy!

My last experience:

Ordering at the drive thru:
Me: ....and I'd like that all white...
Them: that will be a 10 minute wait on white meat

Commentary: You are a CHICKEN PLACE! Why would you let yourself run out of white meat chicken?

Paying at the window:
Them: Here's your large Coke. That will be $12.45

(I hand them a $20.)
(She hands me back $17.55)

Me: (handing her the $10 bill) You gave me too much money back.
Them: Oh! That would have messed us up at the end of the night!

Commentary: I should have kept the $10 for the aggravation I was about to endure.

Still at the window:
Them: Can you pull around to the front and we'll bring your food out to you?
Me: Yes, but I want my other drink before I leave.

I pull around to the front and the wait begins. I can see them plopping up new chicken under the warming lights. I see the top-notch staff filling orders. I see what I think is our order being pushed from one side to the other. Finally, after 18 minutes, I get out of my car and go inside with my receipt in hand. Ms. Sharp-As-A-Tack sees me coming and starts putting my order together.

At the counter:
Me: You said it would be 10 minutes and it's been 18.
Them: Here's your order ma'am. Sorry for the wait.

I look into the bag and notice the two extra biscuits that I ordered are not in there.

Me: Where are the extra biscuits?
Them: Oh! Let me give you some extra biscuits.

So...why do I keep going back? They make me crazy in there! I don't see how they stay in business, frankly.

Do you have any places that you go that are like that? The food is just good enough to overcome the rotten service.

8 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Olive Garden. I think I have only had one dining experience there that didn't take a crazy amount of time to get food, I know they have the most horrible system in the world, and yet, I can't cut it out of my life. The fact that Carino's opened has reduced my Olive Garden frequency, but there are days that I just need a good bowl of Pasta Fagiole soup!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I'm embarrased to order 'naked chicken" but it is the best. And only Popeyes has it. And I've waited for it each I've ever ordered it.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

OH MY GARSH!!!! That is so true about that place!!! McLaine is an exhaustingly picky eater and sometimes the ONLY thing, and believe me when i say we've tried everything, but sometimes the only thing that will satisfy her is a chicken leg from popeyes. A CHICKEN LEG! How do you run out of chicken legs???

Ira likes the sandwich they sell, which by the way, costs entirely too much.

i am ashamed to admit that we too have waited WAAAAAAAAYYY too long in front for something from popeye's and even more ashamedly, more than once.

beyonce has a lifetime membership card to popeyes, but even with all her booty shakin' i bet she'd have to wait at the one on mccart too.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

POST AGAIN!

:)

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Dickie's Barbecue....they are open on Sundays and Cousins is not, or trust me I'd NEVER go there. I've waited FIFTEEN MINUTES in the drive through for a kids meal turkey w/okra and a fruit punch (it's only 2.99) for Daniel. In LINE for fifteen minutes because the people are not courteous enough to ask the woman in the huge Lexus SUV to move forward so they can bring her ginormous food order out to her. So what do I do? Sit there until my FUEL LIGHT pops on! Then I have to get out of line and go to the QT to get gas. I drove back and went inside, stating that I had almost run out of gas in their drive through line b/c of the woman ahead of me and that I'd like to pick up my order now.

Blank Stares.....so I re-order. What a pain. But it makes Daniel happy, so I do it. Anything for my kiddo

We've never been to that particular Popeye's but the one in Burleson is good and quick and friendly! We'll have to try our neighborhood popeyes....although the KFC on Altamesa is almost as bad

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh man I hear ya! Whataburger, especially the one on Altamesa. Chicken Express, only dumb people work there. I've begun to choose time efficiency over taste. McDonald's has been my meal at least twice a week, due to that issue.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

We love Dickey's - but we've never gone thru the drive thru. And on Sundays...kids eat free! Their pulled pork is so yummy! Blake likes the veggies he can eat there...so we actually go often...and get really great service since they know us. The owner is a great guy! Hope your experience is better next time.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Do kids eat free in the drive thru on Sundays?? :) I actually really like their turkey...

...but they're no "Cousin's...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home