Monday, January 02, 2006

Changing Times

Childhood: It was just fun to have a reason to get to stay up late. I didn’t really understand what the big deal was, but it was still cool. I remember watching Guy Lombardo and I just didn’t understand why everyone thought he was so great...he was just too Lawrence Welkish and boring to me. I also remember seeing people on TV crying at midnight and didn’t understand that either.

Teenage Years: I didn’t run with a very wild crowd (shocking news, I know), but sometimes the church kids would get together and do something…which usually involved wrapping someone’s house. Sorry Ron and Becky, Wade and Patty, Frank and Mary Chris. (You guys all lived too close to each other and if we were going to do one of your houses, we might as well do all three of them.) I remember watching Dick Clark and thinking it was a really cool show.

College Years: These were probably my best celebrating years. Fun. Carefree. Adventurous.

Single Days: These were my most depressing years! A really nice family at church would host our singles group every year at their house for dinner, games, etc. This was not necessarily the “hippest” crowd in town (of course, I was one of them) so the celebrations were a little depressing to me. At midnight, our hostess insisted, and I really mean INSISTED, that we partake in her black-eyed pea dip. It was really nice that this family would take all of us misfits in on New Year’s Eve – but it still depresses me!

Married Years/No Kids: We had some fun times. We hung out with the OLDER crowd (sorry folks…you know I’m right) but a smarter crowd. We’d either go out on December 30th for a nice night of dinner and movie (avoid the crowds), or we’d order in from Outback on the 31st.

Married Years/Kids: Am I supposed to get sleepy this early in the evening? I think an early dinner is really a great idea. Let’s go somewhere quiet. A movie? Well, does that theater have the comfy seats? I never knew people-watching could be so much fun. Is it time to call and check on Blake yet? Wish I had worn more sensible shoes. Does she realize how silly she looks in that New Year’s Eve hat? Is it midnight yet? Do you have a Zantac? OH! It’s 12:02! We missed it! Good night, sweetheart.

2 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Yep, that about sums it up....but you forgot to mention how awesome it is to watch your little one running around screaming "new ear! new ear!"

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

You know me... In bed by 9 often, up by 5 often... I like it.

I endorse the advice, "Go to bed the same day you got up on."

Ends with a preposition, but still good advice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home