Monday, July 24, 2006

OH MY WORD!

I cannot believe I have gone so long without posting. I miss it! It's very therapeutic for me to talk about myself....HA! That sounds sort of pitiful! Actually...all of you know that I really don't talk about myself...I talk about the Prince of the Morrison household!

Here are a couple of things he said today that cracked me up.

He picked up a little airplane that looks like an American plane and announced to me:

"I'm going to Boise, Idaho for some potatoes!"

Today we were at Mardel's looking around. I went down the aisle that had the small 2 x 2 posters that teachers put up. I saw one with the periodic table of elements on it and pulled it out. Blake said to me "oooooooooooooh...I want THAT one". I showed him where Carbon was and Oxygen was and told him if you take one part of Carbon and put it with 2 parts of Oxygen, you can get Carbon Dioxide. (He knows about carbon dioxide because he knows what makes the bubbles in his Sprite.) I think I may be turning my kid into a MAJOR GEEK! He was really disappointed when I didn't buy him the chart.

Then I was changing his diaper (yes...he's almost 3 and potty training isn't a big deal in our family!) and I told him to be careful about his cup of water because it is one that leaks. He told me it had leaked in his bed. I said "yes, the water did leak on your bed" and he said "well, actually, it was diesel fuel that leaked." Do little girls talk about diesel fuel as much as we do in our house?

I'm really proud of my kiddo. He's really catching on to the whole phonics thing and is learning the whole sounds that the "-at" words make. Some of it, I am sure, is just repeating back for memory, but sometimes he will sound out the letters and I realize he is beginning to catch on to reading. I know we have many miles to go - but I love it that he understands the sounds the letters make and can sound out letters.

One more brag and then I'll quit...for now...

Blake can do his United States puzzle like a champ. He mastered it about a month ago - can do all 50 states and name the states without help from me. The only place he needs help is on the tiny little Delaware/Maryland/New Jersey states that are all on one piece. Of course, I have trouble with those too. And he can name 15 capitals without my help. On the ones he can't remember on his own, I can usually start by saying "The capital of Maryland is Anna..." and he can finish it with "polis"....so he just needs a little start on the other 35. What a memory this kid has. I bought him a puzzle of the world today and we also studied a globe today so he could begin to get that concept down. He looked really confused when I was showing him the globe and how the earth rotates. I guess it still amazes and confuses me too!

OK - enough for now.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great summer. Though I sometimes feel sad about how fast he is growing, I celebrate the miracle of his physical and mental growth and cannot wait to see all the great things God has in store for him.

9 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger stacey4 said...

WOW! You really have a little genius on your hands. You do realize that not all kids are like that right?? He is special! A friend of mine's little boy was reading full books at age 3. He read moby dick out loud to us. AMAZING!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

i say buy the chart!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Joanie we are still in diapers too! the doctor told me that really smart kids usually take longer to potty train.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger karen b said...

thanks for saying that maggie -- andrew was four!!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Ashley N said...

Oh he is just fabulous! Can I be his teacher someday?? I think he would be a dream student.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I'm still not potty trained. Just kidding! Man I'm in a weird mood....

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

Stacey - It's really fun watching him learn - but I sure don't want him to turn out to be a geek!

Jennifer - I agree with you. It's not too early to start working on chemistry!

Maggie - The whole diaper thing just isn't a big deal to me - maybe it should be - but it isn't! Blake loves to sit on the potty with his diaper on, so that's good enough for me right now! It will happen when HE is ready....and when Maisy is ready too. Who wouldn't want their kid to turn out like Andrew B. anyway?

Ashley - At the cost of private schools these days, I think we could just about hire you to be his teacher! I hope he has a teacher some day as wonderful as I am sure you will be.

Emily - Depends....it can be your little secret!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

we're stuck on the potty thing too.....Daniel is telling us AFTER he poops that he's poopy now...so that's a start??

I wish he could read.... Yeah buy him that little chart, he'd love it

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home