Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Ugliest Yard on the Block

It's all about priorities, I guess. Mine shift now and then. What might be critical to me one week I can just blow off the next week. I guess I'm wishy-washy.

So it is with our front yard and the upkeep thereof.

We live in a very average neighborhood. Our home is about 47 years old. Nice big trees. Very normal...very average 1958ish houses. Some folks, like my neighbor, have a really nice yard. (Actually, she just recently moved in and is reaping the rewards of my previous neighbor's years of yard work.) Nice grass. Professionally fertilized. Good sprinkler system. Yard boys that mow for her. Nice flower beds, well tilled and prepared soils for nice bushes and flowering plants. Well trimmed trees. Everything about it just seems really nice to me.

And then there's our yard.

I actually love leaves on the ground. I love to walk thru a pile of leaves and kick my feet big. There's just something about the sound of it. It makes me happy. But something has happened that makes me even happier about leaves on the ground. It's called a 2 year old BOY! I know our neighbors look at us with disgust over our messy, leaf covered yard, but I just cannot make myself pick up all the leaves. I know it is time to do it, I just cannot take the big piles away - they bring so much joy to Blake.

So...our priorities have shifted from being a good neighbor and having the respect of our neighborhood to the house that never cleans up their leaves. I'm sure I'll give in when it gets a little bit warmer. But in the meantime, playing in the leaves is the greatest! In the overall scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me that my front yard looks great - but it does matter that my kiddo is happy.


















I guess the neighbors will get over it. It's probably just been too long since they jumped in a pile of leaves themselves!

3 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I think you should keep the leaves as long as that angel wants them. Blake is such a beautiful boy. You are blessed.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Is it bad that my first thought is "Who KNOWS what kind of creepy crawlies are in those leaves?"

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

Emily, If you ever have a son, you'll just have to get past all that creepy crawly phobia stuff...there's no room for it with a little boy around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home