Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My brother makes me laugh

My mom forwarded me a funny email the other day from my brother who lives outside of Kansas City. He makes me laugh...I have to share part of the email here...

Mom:

Do you have a gas well in your back yard? I just read an article in the Wednesday KC Star about how drilling companies are offering signing bonuses and future royalties to FW homeowners in exchange for their mineral rights. It showed a picture that made it look like a full-size drilling rig was in a suburban back yard. I don’t know how you would know if they drilled at an angle from several miles away to a point 5000’ below your kitchen. You better put your ear to the kitchen floor occasionally to make sure they are not sneaking in.

The whole concept of mineral rights is kind of curious. Does one own the mineral rights to a limited depth or does your property line go to a fine point in the earth’s core where it touches another fine point of a Chinese homeowner and, as neighbors, are you obligated to take care of their aquarium when they go on vacation? Which brings up the question of who owns/owned the mineral rights under Mt. St. Helens? Whoever it is is responsible for a lot of damage. I am doing all I can to take care of my portion of the magma.

I think you should invite the drillers over. It would be nice to have something tall in the backyard in place of the mulberry that died. The squirrels would love crawling on it and there would be lots of places to put hanging baskets.

He poses some interesting questions. I've wondered before about how much you own above your property. I'm sure if I built something tall, I'd be told quickly that I didn't have that right.

OK, so maybe my brother doesn't make you laugh...but he's a funny man to me!

7 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Since when do you have a brother??

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Oh wait...is this father of spelling bee champ?

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

yes - brother Charlie is 3 years older than me, lives in Kansas, with wife and 3 daughters - twins who are 16 and sister who is 15

he's a picses and I think he likes long walks on the beach, but I'm not sure

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought Charles was funny -- just like you, Floyd, and Louise. It's one of the reasons I injected myself in your family. (Kind of like a virus!)

I remember the first time I spent time with ya'll. Actually I can't remember if you were there. Some of us had gone to a movie and didn't have anything else pressing to do that night, but no one was ready to go home. Charles suggested we go visit his parents. "Ummmmm. Okay." was probably my polite but skeptical response.

Of course, we had a blast and it's likely we stayed till midnight.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Thanks, Charles!

Alice McD

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

yes, he's funny! and though it does feel weird to actually read some of my own thoughts... he does have a point! the mineral right thing! my dad's mineral rights on his land and this sweet little stream. when i found out about the mineral rights and the money that could be involved; i was like, let's make a dam! we're losing money here! stop this thing up! lol!
p.s.
you were NOT rude ark school night! whatever! i enjoyed seeing you; and your cutie is ADORABLE on stage. of course we knew this would happen, right?

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home