Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Once Upon a Time on the History Channel

OK, so Kelly is out of town and I’m late-night channel surfing and find on the History Channel or ESPN or Lifetime, Television for Women, or some other channel an interesting show that I have never seen before that really confused the heck out of me.

So, once upon a time, it seems there is this “sport” somewhere in the world – it looked sort of like rugby, but with a somewhat gentler approach, maybe part rugby and part ballet. Maybe it was more like ballet, but the blood-letting made me think of rugby. Anyway, there are two teams and it is really confusing to tell if there ever is a winner. I watched the black team (very nice black jerseys with a splash of bright color on them – made them appear a very dominating team, though I think this might have been their first season to compete) play the blue team (also a very lovely jersey – almost a blue you’d see in the waters in the Bahamas – you know in that nice little cove there by the hotel where we snorkeled – or maybe more of a Caribbean blue – the kind of blue at St. Thomas or maybe even Aruba (is Aruba even in the Caribbean?) – made them appear much more relaxed and not quite as aggressive). I cannot recall the team names – let’s just call them Team Roho and Team Alrightythen. Hey…how did you like that run-on sentence? I could have never made it through high school English without Preston Morgan. Thanks, man!!!! Pork tenderloin…yummmmmmmmm….

So the fairy godmother told them to start to play this game, both trying to accomplish the same task in the allotted time period, and the competition is incredible. What’s odd is the makeup of the teams – brothers vs. brothers, but they are all out for blood…very “end of time” competitive with the families squabbling! This one family’s dad was the coach of the Rohos and his son played for the blue team. Very dramatic. Then there was this one player who lots of folks were a little put out with – apparently he was in a mid-season trade from the blue to the black team – and apparently that caused a big stir. He appeared to be pretty full of himself and acted inappropriately about being traded to the Ro’s (he was very young…so guess he couldn’t help but act like a kid), so I decided I liked the blue team best, which I leaned towards anyway since blue is my favorite color. Does everyone have a favorite color or is that just a girl thing? My eyes used to be blue but they’ve decided to turn green in the past few years. The blue team seemed to have their act together and weren’t quite so cocky about themselves, thanks mostly to their coach who really seemed to have a level head about him, though apparently he had not been coaching for long.

But I digress….

The princess continued - Anyway, it was quite interesting and like I said, I never figured out the rules, it was almost as if they were changing in the middle of the game….or perhaps I wasn’t clever enough to realize the rules were staying the same and just the players were changing. I think the blue team ultimately won the game, but not without a certain amount of wounds and open bleeding on both sides.

Guess I’ll be channel surfing again soon – but honestly, I hope I don’t have to go through the stress of watching that game again – no matter who the teams are. Maybe a nice yellow team vs. pink team would be more fun to watch. It was just a little too much, if you know what I mean.

I hope Blake plays non-contact sports when he grows up...though I’d just as soon him pass on ballet. A run-in at home plate with a wimpy catcher every now and then is fine with me, though – just as long as he doesn’t break a tooth.

And they lived happily ever after.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Joanie said...

did the milk go bad and I just not realize it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home