Monday, August 15, 2005

Popeye's been lying to us all this time!

Just a few things I discovered today...

Everyone knows that spinach is loaded in iron and makes you stronger - Just look what it has done for Popeye's career. Well, Popeye was wrong. So were all of those parents that stuffed it down their kids' throats. In reality, spinach has no more iron in it than any other vegetable. This spinach misconception dates back to the 1950's when a food analyst made an error while calculating the iron in spinach. His decimal place was off by one place, suggesting that spinach had ten times as much iron content than it really did.

Frenchman Michel Lotito has a very unusual diet. Born on June 15, 1950, he has been consuming large quantities of metal and glass since he was nine years old. To date, he has eaten supermarket carts, television sets, bicycles, chandeliers, razor blades, bullets, nuts and bolts, lengths of chain, phonograph records, computers, and an entire Cessna 150 light aircraft (which took him nearly two years to consume). It seems that his body has adjusted to this unusual diet, as he eats nearly two pounds of metal every day. His technique includes lubricating his digestive tract with mineral oil, cutting the parts into bite-size pieces, and then consuming a large quantity of water while eating this junk.

Did you ever wonder what the WD in WD-40 stands for? The name was lifted right out chemist Norm Larsen's laboratory notebook. Way back in 1953, he was trying to concoct an anti-corrosion formula, which worked on the basic principle of displacing water. On his 40th try, Larsen finally got it right. Hence the name WD-40. It literally means Water Displacer, 40th try.

Some things just cannot be kept to yourself.

Enlightening my world, one blog reader at a time.

8 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Trey Laminack said...

I'm downright impressed. I wish this was my blog. Much props.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

I love the creamed spinach at Boston Market...but don't want to eat the plain stuff if I can avoid it. I remember when I was little, my mom would let me put mustard on my spinach to get it down. Isn't that a strange combination? I guess it worked...the strong taste of the mustard overcame the spinach taste. Wonder how she ever came up with that idea - unless that's what her mom let her do to get it down.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

Gosh you use alot of big words!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Wezie said...

OK, I know you have been posting comments and I keep visiting your blog expecting to find some more big words and abstract thoughts but I'm gettin' nuthin'....Get busy girl!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

YES! I knew it and suspect the same decimal-gate wrongdoings have occured in regard to liver and asparagus.

Please get your top researchers on this.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I love spinach, especially spinach in queso. Mmmmm....that place that used to be where TGI Friday's is, what was it called, Regas? Anyways it had good spinach queso.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh and creamed spinach from Boston Market is amazing.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

ha, I just read all the comments, I didn't even know that Boston Market's creamed spinach was mentioned

 

Post a Comment

<< Home